Sunday, October 28, 2007

Insurance

I found out recently that my business liability insurance covers my hairdressers but not my massage therapists! Ack! I had my agent look for coverage and it's ridiculously expensive. He recommending buying coverage through the AMTA, which is what we will do.

The moral of the story is to understand what coverage you have and what you don't have. Fortunately we did not have a claim situation so we were not harmed by this coverage gap. I try to meet with my agent once a year to have him explain what is covered under my policies. And I call him whenever I have a question.

Right now Southern California is experiencing wildfires that are destroying business, or at least closing them down temporarily. If a catastrophe like that happened to you (fire, flood, hurricane) what coverage would you have? Don't overlook coverage that provides loss of income in the event you have to evacuate or are displaced for some reason.

Ask lots of questions and if your agent seems impatient or just wants you to trust that they have provided you with everything you need, find a new agent. Ultimately it's you who pays the price if you don't have the coverage you need so make sure you understand it.

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, I had the same issue with my insurance. One thing I also found is that the professional beauty insurance did not cover hair removal, including waxing. I suggest you double check that area.

    ReplyDelete