Sunday, October 28, 2007

Disaster Recovery

I used to work for a large corporation and every so often we would have "disaster drills' where they would cut all systems over to the back-up servers and see if we could still function.

As a small business owner I understand that I should have a disaster plan but I really don't. I've figured a few things out but there's a lot of unfinished business.

Things I've done or kind of /sort of know what to do about:
  • I know if we have a phone outage I can forward all our lines to a cell phone. I found a good phone system guy, he's familiar with our equipment, and will come running when and if something bad happens.
  • I get daily backups of our salon system but they are not offsite so if there is a fire, we're screwed. (To do - find an online archive service)
  • I have maintenance contracts on my HVAC which gives us priority repair service
  • My HVAC guys are also plumbers who have inspected my hot water heater and told me they can have us up and running again within 6 hours if our hot water heater dies (and it's pretty old)
  • I have employee phone numbers in my cell phone
  • I can change our salon voice mail message from any phone

What I don't have taken care of:

  • I don't have a battery backup for my server. No excuse. They only cost about $80 so shame on me. If we get a power blip, the server reboots and it slows things down greatly at the salon.
  • I don't have an offsite back up of my salon system - inexcusable.
  • I don't regularly back up my quickbooks and when I do it's on a flash drive that I carry around in my purse.

Actually now that I've written it down, it doesn't seem so overwhelming. I think I'll go buy a battery backup today and search for an archive service.

No comments:

Post a Comment