Thursday, March 13, 2008

Stormy Weather

Before I owned my own business I loved snow days! The kids would be home from school and we would hibernate inside for a couple of days. Now that I'm a business owner I look at those storms differently! I worry about whether we should close up early so everyone can get home safely. I worry that our clients won't understand if we close early. I worry that the staff will get mad if we don't close early...

Well, Louisville was stuck in the storm that hit last week and we did not open up on Saturday. We had 90 appointments on the book that had to be rescheduled. That hurt. In the salon business you sell time. And once the time passes you never get it back -it's like spoiled milk. So we closed for the day. The staff came back Monday well-rested after enjoying a couple of days snowed in. We're way behind on our monthly goal (as you would expect) but hopefully we'll be able to make that up.

In the days and hours leading up to the big storm I was stressed out worrying about what to do. You don't want to call things off too early and then find out it was for nothing. Likewise you don't want to wait until the last minute when things are already bad. Once I made the call, though, I was finally able to enjoy the snow day. It was a beautiful sight and we had a nice time taking the dogs out in the snow. Sometimes you have to take a deep breath, make the call, and remind yourself it's just money.

No comments:

Post a Comment